Current time: 01-22-2018, 10:03 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
AMO PART 145
03-11-2015, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 11:14 PM by flyhigh9m.)
Bonjour!
I'd like to get some views from all of the sifus here on which AMO do you think is it a good start for the freshie in this industry on the road to become LAE. Your view and thought are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
03-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Okay. I have something to say/ask/discuss.

It's somewhat relevant to the topic of the thread but not 100% so sorry for that.

So, what I've been made clear about from the Lowyat LAME thread is that to be employed as an LAE, all that matters is having the license, not a diploma or a degree, just the license (and type rating in my mind).

Now in my mind, there are two ways to go about becoming an LAE for those who just completed their SPM.

1. Join an ATO such as APR/Dilog, study well and do what's right and you should successfully graduate(if that's the word) with the knowledge and the license. After that, get a job relevant to the license you've obtained and move on from that.
2. Get a diploma in aircraft maintenance engineering at wherever I guess (UniKL/MATA/MSU). Then get employed as a junior technician and gain the working experience and study on your own and sit for the DCAM Part 66 exam, get the license and get employed as an LAE.

Now a diploma would cost say what, RM60k and APR/Dilog is somewhere along the lines of RM140k - RM170k.
I haven't the slightest clue of the starting pay for a Junior LAE with 1 type rating.

But I've been told that it's not the job if you want to make money fast. And that's fine and logical.
I'm just curious in the ROI for joining something like APR. It's a clear pathway to becoming an LAE, but it's quite a bit of money.

I'm not in it for the money, aviation and engineering are definitely my interests.
Just trying to map it all out.

To those like flyhigh92 and torx.
What's your opinion?
Are ATOs like APR/Dilog definitely the best way to go about being an LAE despite it's cost. Or is there other ways?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
03-17-2015, 07:35 PM
I was told recently that currently there are super-limited jobs for LAEs because the major MRO are only MAS, Airod & SAE and no other new MROs in town. And as you all know MAS is goin a bit downhill right now so definitely there'll be an abundance of LAEs lookin for new employer. Also ATOs are producing a LOT of fresh graduates every frickin year with very small opportunity to get placement for new job.

Unlike the statistics I've read an article (can't remember where I've read it) stating that the demand for LAEs are really high, I'm really confused. I got 3 years to go to finish my studies in APR. HuhHuhHuh
03-19-2015, 01:26 AM
You should do a little bit more research. Start with the dca website. if you include operator with some mro capabilities and if you include engine mro and if you include component mro, there would be quite a few in town. So it isnt that bad. For those guys in mas that is about to be laid off, i am sure they would probably find a place in the sandpit or across the causeway.by the time you finish you and your buddies would be ready to take their place, god willing.