Current time: 01-17-2018, 10:31 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forces in a climb
03-13-2011, 10:20 PM
"In order to achieve a steady climb, thrust has to be increased to balance drag because drag has increased due to component of weight which now adds to the drag."
That's what most books mention, more or less in those words. Of course thrust also has to contribute to lift to balance weight since component of lift has reduced as resultant lift is no longer directly opposing weight, but tilted backward.

But thinking a bit too much & looking at the picture, I noticed that, nothing was mentioned about the component of lift that should acting along the direction of flight (induced drag). By right, the induced drag component from the lift vector should be added to total drag too, right?

So the increase in thrust to balance drag should be to balance the increase in drag caused by not only the component of weight but also rearward component of lift.

Right / Wrong?<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:37 pm --<br /><br />My bad... lousy question & thinking in the wrong direction.

To clear the confusion (& answer my own question):

The induced drag in a climb is insignificant, as aircraft is not at a high AoA, only a high pitch angle!

Another easier way to see this picture is, tilt the aircraft climbing picture to level (relative airflow horizontal), everything looks the same like in straight & level flight, only difference is weight acts slightly rearwards (towards the earth)