Current time: 01-22-2018, 10:07 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have engineering degree, 27 years old, married. Should I enter TAME programme?
12-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi,

As a newbie here, I would like to introduce myself. I am 27 years old, married with 1 child. I have degree in mechanical engineering. And currently working at one of automotive manufacturer for almost 4 years as an engineer.

Since my student years, I always want to work on an aircraft. Only after I've graduated, I know that a license is needed in order to work on an aircraft. So I put down the dream and trying to work in different area in aviation. But since graduated, my career path is not in aviation industry.

I've a few friends who already the LAE, I start to feel envy on them. Then I start to think again of getting a license to be the LAE. A few months ago, I went for an interview with Yayasan Peneraju Bumiputera at METC to get a scholarship to enter TAME programme. But the interviewers turn me down because of my status as a married man.

I know I have to be a fulltime student for the 4 years, without salary if I join TAME programme. I have thought deeply about it. I have my contingency saving plan to pay for my expenses (house, car, etc) throughout the programme. More important, my wife agreed with me.

I am thinking of applying for a MARA loan, and try to enter TAME programme at DThS or APR. But I need 3rd opinion, from people in this industry, is it worth it to sacrifice the 4 years to be a student again, leave my current job, and pursuit my ambition to be the LAE?

Thank you.
12-04-2014, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 03:47 PM by torx.)
Salam AbuAhmad,

There is never an age limitation to acquire the LICENCE.
What is required is COMPETENCY... after all the sweat, blood and tears.. Big Grin
I suggest you give APR a buzz. I do not know where you're located but APR will be in a better position to advice.
Also give MARA a call if there are age limitation for their study loan.
Alternatively you can do this at your own time and money, which is a slower route.
If you're very determined I do not see how you can fail but succeed.
My advice would be take Rotary Wing licence (apt as you're from a mechanical background or if you're up to it, a B2 cat.)

Good luck.

Real planes have propellers!
12-04-2014, 06:30 PM
waw! this is truly inspiring story right! Smile I support Mr Torx idea and suggestion! Smile
Have your heart set on your dreams bro AbuAhmad!
04-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Well, you'll be surprised at how many people that are studying with the same(or similar) circumstances as you.

One of my friends entered the institute when he was 27 and he have a degree in electronic engineering AND had worked for 3-4 years already, then he entered APR and now is entering his 4th year but then again he's single.

Age is not the problem, most importantly IMO is as long as you can support yourself(and family) financially and commit the time then it should be no problem. Do note that both APR and Dilog fees are pretty high though and also during OJT you may be placed oustation(Terengganu and Sabah if rotorcraft) but if you take fixed wing your OJT locations are usually in Subang or KLIA.