Current time: 01-17-2018, 01:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Information controllers
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
I was listening into Tioman Information frequency & noticed that they basically acted like any other Tower. They gave "cleared to land" instructions like tower.
I thought they were "Information", would have expected them to say something like "wind xxx at xx, landing at pilot discretion.
Is Tioman "Information" just their callsign? Wouldn't it be more appropriate if they were known as Tioman Tower?

Same goes for Lumpur information. I noticed a lot of pilots "request climb xxxxft". Can Lumpur Information clear an aircraft to climb or descend?
07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
:Big Grin: Tioman is an ATZ. No positive landing clearance should be given to pilot/aircraft. There must be a mistake been done by the controller. Landing at pilot discretion sir.. Have a nice flight.. :Big Grin:
07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. Maybe the controller was "tower certified" but he happened to be manning Tioman Info station at that time?

What about Lumpur Information? Are they allowed to give climb & descend instructions / do pilots need to "request climb to xxxxft" or just inform they are climbing to xxxxft?
07-17-2011, 08:56 PM
haha.. What a tricky question.. Eventhou it is class G, but still lot of pilots prefer to request before any altitude or flight profile changes. Why? Theres a lot factor contributing to it. It is a good practice to request first, there maybe a solo student fly into ur flight path. :Big Grin:
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
I did notice that the way information controllers reply when a pilot "request" climb to xxxxft, the info controller will normally answer something like "no reported traffic xxxxft" or "call again established xxxxft"
Is it because they can't say "cleared climb xxxxft" as they are not like radar controllers?

Correct me if I'm wrong - Information "controllers" are not responsible for collision avoidance, they only provide information on surrounding traffic, so that other pilots are aware of traffic. So if aircraft "A" from the south & "B" from the north both request to fly at 3000ft over Klang, the information controller cannot tell aircraft "A" that he is not allowed 3000ft, but inform that there is another aircraft also at 3000ft over Klang.
07-26-2011, 04:22 PM
yup, that's right. no positive control :Big Grin: .only traffic information or essential traffic information .
01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Information controllers are control the system and give us instructions about the flight.