Current time: 02-24-2018, 08:01 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Letting the Pilot go..
03-28-2011, 06:06 PM
By ANONYMOUS

I WANT to send my son away for his betterment. That is what I told myself a long time ago.
I have brought up my son single-handedly since he was two, after his father died. Now he is
24, well-mannered and soft-spoken, and was living with me and his sister until he left home
for training. I have been reading a lot about letting adult children go, how to stop from being
a mummy, and believing in their independence. But unlike parents who struggle with the fear
of whether one’s children can cope with a harsh life, in my case, letting my son go means having
to struggle with my own memories of his father’s tragic passing.I let my son go off to flying
school three years ago. I let him go rather reluctantly because his dad, who was a pilot, died
in an air crash. The newspapers reported about the crash for three days – it was the first of its
kind where the fallen aircraft hit a car on the way to the airport. Seven people died on the spot,
including a toddler. My son does not know that I let him go reluctantly. I managed to hide my
feelings well. In front of him I act brave.

Being a pilot is so important to him that he quit university, arguing that a university education was
long, nerve-wracking and did not ensure a good job after struggling to get a degree. So now he is at
flying school. Every time he leaves for his training ground after spending the weekend at home, I shut
my gate and turn back to the house, but before reaching the main door I will look up to God, pleading to
Him to take care of my boy. I make an effort to hold back my tears as my eyes follow his car until it
vanishes from sight. No day goes by that I do not talk to God to ask Him to look after my baby. Yes,
I want to let him go. Now, each time he comes home for the weekend, we will have a late breakfast
together. At breakfast he will tell his stories – some fun, some fearful. The fun stories will be about
his
experiences and antics with his friends. His flying friends are big shots’ children, mostly rich and
self-centred. I know all his friends and the names of those at his flying school. I will laugh along at
his funny stories and that makes my day. But when he tells me his flying stories, I recoil in horror.
The stories remind me of the day the police officers told me “we could not find him”. I pretend to
listen as I do not want to disappoint him but deep down I wish he wouldn’t. He would feel let down
if I asked him not to tell me about his “exciting” flying. At times as he relates his stories, my mind
wonders why his late father did not tell me all this. When the dad was flying, being a naïve 20-something,
I didn’t know it was a dangerous job and it didn’t occur to me to ask God to protect
him. All I knew was that he went flying and flying was safe. He told me all the time that his aircraft was
the safest light aircraft in the world. I was fooled.

Every day I would wait for him at dusk as usual, but one day he didn’t arrive as scheduled. The authorities
told me they could not find his plane on their radar system. My nightmare immediately began. However,
I survived and managed to raise his son. But never in my wildest dream did I imagine his son would be
following in his footsteps. Each time my friends tease me that my son will earn well, lead a fun life and
soon have a pretty stewardess wife, I recoil. But flying makes my son happy. He texts me each time he
lands, and says it is fun to have breakfast in Ipoh, lunch in Subang and tea in Penang. He films the clouds
at 9,000ft, asks his friend to video his takeoff and landing and excitedly shows them all to me.

He takes pictures of Pulau Langkawi from the air, proudly telling me how beautiful the sea is from
6,000, 5,000, 4,000ft until he lands. The only flight I made with his father was to Pulau Langkawi.
His son offers me all the time, “Come on Mak, I will fly you.” I “encourage” him to fly and find that
he is closer to me now. Before, he would not kiss or hug me (that’s the nature of our family) but now
he does it without fail. I also find that I am now much closer to him although he lives far away from
me. He says he always wants to come home on weekends, saying it is so good to be at home.
I smile as he repeatedly tells me that when he starts working he wants to live at home to take care of
me. My smile never fails to delight him but not myself.
02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Wow this story. I know I rarely visit other pages except for aspiring pilot but this one, is worth inspiring others too...
OMG. Thanks for sharing Smile

NEVER GIVE UPAngel
02-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Great piece of article ......... WELL DONE !!! Smile

The Unlearned
Cool

A Real Man Needs A "Big Stick" In Between Legs .....

BUT

Not The One Provided by BOEING ....
02-19-2014, 07:28 PM
That's not good. Pilot should not go out from airplane. He should to fly it full time.