Current time: 01-17-2018, 12:56 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unfamiliar reporting point
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Flying navigation VFR in M'sia, as it is there is no official VFR chart to follow with designated Visual Reporting Points.

I was wondering, if Lumpur Information or any controller for that matter asks me to report overhead / passing / abeam XXX, & I don't know where XXX is as it is not in my chart & I am not familiar with the local area, what should I do?
Do I say "Unfamiliar with XXX, will report YYY (which is somewhere I am familiar)"...?
07-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Ask your seniors .They should know what are the common wpts that ATC say.

Fly to live,Live to fly.
07-03-2011, 09:53 PM
:Big Grin: just say u'r location bro. Any location, it is best if u can give compass direction and distance from u'r current location or near to it. They have geo maps at their control station as well as radar screen, but they can't use it as controlling medium, just for observation purposes. GPS coordinate is applicable for Lumpur Info only, don't apply if under tower freq. Happy Flying Guys :Big Grin:
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
before you get to fly you need to submit the flight plan right? in the flight plan is clearly stated your routes and the EET. based on that the ATC will not simply ask you to report other than the reporting point that you've filed in your flight plan. plus, as a pilot (flying VFR), you should plan your routing, map plotting, etc,etc....
07-13-2011, 12:37 AM
But sometimes especially when you are near an airfield, there are lots of landmarks which require "local area knowledge", these landmarks are not on the map.